vrijdag 18 maart 2011

Pink Ponies!

Although I am writing another blog post which I shall publish soon, I want to share this ironic case study with you. I found it while I was surfing the internet ( I really need to make reality of my intention for an internet detox!), and want to share it with you.

In 2010, the company John St. accepted the challenge to make Chelsea Bedano’s birthday party a success in an already cluttered birthday market. According to the agency the results were stunning and it was “their toughest challenge.”



As you can see, marketing goals can apply to almost everything. Agencies can make the stupidest thing still sound amazing. If you compare this case to any other advertising film, you see a lot of similarities. The seductive voice, which gains your attention to listen. The matching music on the background. The smooth compilation of the video. The percentages and numbers of the goals which are achieved. In this case you know that the film is ironic. But what if you see such a movie from a product or service you really want? Or just an advertising campaign? While you are watching it, you probably don’t realize that the images you are watching are overrated and embellished. You see the positive side of the brand and of the products they create (of course, otherwise nobody would ever buy one of their products). Creating a positive emotion will result in more risk taking behavior and people tend to make a quicker decision. Thus they are more willing to buy the product. And that is exactly what the manufacturers want.

How far can marketing go to convince the consumers to buy their products? From which point do you think it will become deception?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten